Millhouse Primary School and Nursery
The aim of this policy is to ensure that a consistent ‘whole school’ approach is applied to the teaching of phonics. The principle objectives of the teaching and learning of phonics are to enable all children to access reading and spelling at an age appropriate level. In order for this to happen we need to ensure:
- Consistency in the approach to teaching phonics throughout EYFS and KS1 and KS2 where appropriate;
- Rigorous planning, assessment and tracking;
- Quality first teaching that is lively, interactive and investigative.
- Pupils to apply their phonic skills in all curriculum areas.
- That all children are able to read age appropriate material.
- That all children can spell at an age appropriate level.